We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we are meeting and pay our respects to their Elders, past and present, and the Elders from other communities who may be here today.
Northcote Primary School, SS1401, which opened on 1 May 1874, was the first state school to open in the Northcote area after the government passed the Education Act in 1872. Francis Beaver and the Board of Advice decided on the Helen Street location after looking at the local educational needs: the Wesleyan School was too small, and the Church of England school was not in an ideal location to serve the community. Both schools had no playground. The Helen Street location was in the perfect area to accommodate the number of pupils expected and in a central area. During the 1980s the number of students reached 500.